Instagram

Monday, June 30, 2014

Nothing to Fear


Fear.  It's something we all feel from time to time, some of us more than others.  Courage.  Courage is what it takes to overcome the crippling grip of fear.  Courage to move forward and reach for our dreams and goals, no matter how impossible they may seem.  To overcome fear we mush push away those internal thoughts and voices that tell us we aren't good enough, that our ideas are foolish, that people won't understand or accept us for who we are and what we want to do.

For most of my life, I have made decisions based on what I was "supposed" to do, or what was "expected" of me.  I have always wanted to be the best, to be seen as good, to be well-liked.  I have gone overboard to achieve in school and at work to maintain this status of excellence.  While this has brought me success in many ways, it has also kept me in the grip of fear.  What if I fail?  What if I do something that others don't like or approve of?  What if my best isn't good enough?  Keeping up with my own expectations of perfection is exhausting and, in the end, impossible.  We all fail sometimes, we all make mistakes, and we all have to learn to pick ourselves up and move on regardless of what the rest of the world thinks or does about it.

I have reached a point of my life when I'm tired of living in fear, and tired of pushing aside my aspirations to do things that seem foolish or impractical.  I want to make decisions that free me from fear instead of continuing to lock me inside a cage of "what if???".  I have always wanted to be a published author but there has always been a voice inside me telling me that is something other people do, that I don't have the time, the resources, the ability... the list goes on.  But I've never lost the desire to reach this goal.  I have to learn to listen to my heart, and to begin to take steps toward doing what I really want to do if I am ultimately going to achieve happiness and fulfillment in life.

There are many pathways to success, but many of them lead to destinations in which success is defined by other people's expectations rather than by the fulfillment of our own hopes, dreams, and desires.  No one is going to give me permission to step off my current path, or tell me it's the right thing to do, or give me a gold star for reaching the end of my journey.  I have to listen to the whisper of my intuition, to my heart, and to my spirit and to believe that I am worthy of having my greatest wishes come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment