Instagram

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Weekend Update

What’s new in the Stasi household this past week? Here’s a bit about our vegetable garden, and an update on my running and other fitness goals.


The Garden: Jason worked really hard this year to get the garden growing. He did all of this himself, from turning the soil to selecting the plants. He has more of a green thumb than I do… I tend to get uptight and “type-A” about everything, and gardening is as much about trial and error and going by instinct as it is about doing it “right”. We already have a ton of lettuce ready to eat, and the strawberries are starting to appear as well. The chard did not do so well, hard to say exactly why, maybe too hot? We also have tomatoes, onions, potatoes, squash, and pole beans. We might get some artichokes this season, since we planted last year. Artichokes act as perennials in our past of California, and sometimes you and get a summer and fall crop from them once they are well established.

My contribution to the edible garden is an array of herbs that I keep right outside the kitchen door. Right now I have two kinds of mint, three kinds of oregano, sage, basil, tarragon, thyme, chives, and parsley. I’m hoping to have the oregano and sage fill in around the fish pond for lush, edible landscaping.

The Run: Today is day 10 of my running streak! I am amazed at the benefits I’m already seeing from a daily run. I ran between 1.2 and 4 miles each day (mostly shorter distances before work). Knowing that I only need to run for 15 minutes each day makes getting out there much easier. I saw a significant improvement in my performance after just one week: I shaved nearly 6 minutes off the same 4 mile run I did last Friday, and felt way less fatigued afterward. I am also seeing a little bit more conversion of body fat to muscle.

The Rest of It: I've continued to commute by bike to work and to the gym each day last week. I skipped Friday because it was raining pretty hard, but other than that I stuck to my routine. Just to give an idea of what an average week’s workouts look like for me these days, here’s my workout stats from Sunday-Saturday of last week:
Bike: 43.5 mi
Pilates: 2 hours
Run: 12.1 mi
Yoga: 2 hours and 10 minutes (10 minutes each session, 2 times per day)
Zumba: 1 hour (usually this is 2 hours per week, but there was no class on Easter)

Last week was pretty ideal in terms of sticking to my planned workouts.  Usually I don't make it to two Pilates classes a week and Jason and I often slack off on daily yoga.  I think maybe the regular running has encouraged me to stick to other planned activities, as well.

I also blogged two times last week, which is a move in the right direction.  As always, thanks for reading and I hope to have a new interesting post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment