Instagram

Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Week in Review

As promised in my last entry, I'm trying to write and post more regularly again.  I still haven't decided on a format or on any regular projects that I want to showcase here, so I thought I'd just do a brief recap of what's new this week.
  • Last weekend, I joined Instagram! I held off on this online photo party for a long time because my old phone did not support the app.  Now, both my phone and tablet have a camera and can host the app, so I'm in business. I'm still figuring out how I want to integrate this new social network tool with my blog, Facebook page, and flickr account so you might see some duplicate posts for a while until I streamline how and where I put stuff on the interwebs.  I'm leaning toward just using Instagram for photos and letting it post to Facebook, but sometimes the square format is kind of limiting.  I do love me some filters, though!
  • I did not run a half-marathon last Sunday!  That's right, Sara Stasi, the ultimate perfectionist, did not do something she committed to doing.  Yes, it wrecked me to back out.  Yes, I was guilty all day and when one of my students showed up at school with a gorgeous volunteer tee I was wracked with jealousy.  But I didn't train for the race and to be honest I've had a hard time running at all lately.  Between biking to work, doing Pilates twice a week, committing to a daily yoga practice, and teaching and taking Zumba classes, I have a serious fitness regime on top of my "real" job.
  • That being said, I am determined to run the Capitola Half which is one month away.  I have run exactly one time per week for the past three weeks, and before that hadn't run since January.  That's a great training plan, don't you think?  Seriously, I have struggled to overcome running inertia and in order to help motivate myself, I have decided to commit to a daily running streak.  A running streak is when you commit to running a certain minimal time or distance each day for a set amount of time or ad infinitum.  I'm going to start with 37 days, to commemorate my recent 37th birthday. Today is the second day, go me!!!  That might not seem like much, but I already feel more excited to get out there every day and this goal did get my butt out of bed at 6 on a Saturday to hit the road (for a quick 1.2 miles). There are many benefits to establishing a daily habit, and I hope to rekindle my passion for running my shaking up my attitude and approach to the sport.
  • I've biked to work every day for nine days straight!  I'm putting my cruiser to the limit, riding nearly 45 miles per week, and am considering getting a second bike that is more commuter-friendly since I don't see myself riding any less in the future.  There are some things I really love about my cruiser though: it lets me sit upright, I can ride it in a skirt or dress, it's heavy and stable, it has fenders and a basket, and has three simple gears.  But those things that make it fun and easy to ride are also kind of a drag at times when commuting, and I would maybe like a lighter frame and a few more gears to get me where I need to go.
Those are just a few things that have been happening in the Santa Cruz Stasi corner of the universe.  As always, thanks for reading!  Tomorrow is Easter, and regardless of your religious orientation toward the holiday I hope you experience it as a time of rebirth, renewal, and rejuvenation at some level in your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment