Instagram

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Poem

Here's my second poem generated from the poetry workshop book I've been using.  Like my last entry, this assignment also draws from a list of childhood memories, but this poem is an exercise in form.  I had to choose an ongoing or recurring life event that spread over a period of time.   The poem had to include four stanzas of four lines each, with the first stanza repeated at the end.  To meet the required form, I had to edit mercilessly.  It ended up giving the poem a much different theme and meaning than I had intended when I first chose the target memory.  That is the beauty of poetry.  It is a creative process that uncovers surprising results.


Camp Joe Scherman

Walking two by two
our flashlights dot the dirt trail.
Cricket songs and crunching feet;
the air smells of butterscotch pine.

We huddle close on logs
singing campfire songs.
The smoke shifts
stinging my eyes.

Shadowy canoes line the dock.
We lay gazing up
at brilliant patterns
in the velvet forest sky.

At bedtime,
counselors walk cabin to cabin
singing lullabies
like falling stars.

Walking two by two
our flashlights dot the dirt trail.
Cricket songs and crunching feet;
the air smells of butterscotch pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment